OPNsense 15.7.16 released

Franco Fichtner franco at opnsense.org
Sat Oct 10 14:18:17 CEST 2015

Good day everyone,

We’ve spent three great days in Nuremberg at it-sa,
thanks for everybody who dropped by.

Originally we wanted to push out 15.7.16 earlier, but
faced an interesting challenge with the latest FreeBSD
package manager version update.  To that end, we are
probably going to release new images for 15.7.17 with
the new package manager included just to make sure we
can retain a clean and flat upgrade process even for
the images.  But fear not, online upgrades are still
working as expected.

Speaking of releases and images, we’ve had recent feedback
about what we call releases that do not necessarily offer
images.  We do this because in a weekly update cycle it is
far too complicated to bundle verified images. The versioning
scheme does not reflect this at the moment, but we’ve had
similar intentions when we moved away from the old 15.1
scheme.  Long story short, we will try to make this more clear
in the future.  The preferred method of installation is via
the latest available image that should be upgraded immediately
after installation.

Since the build tools are open, it’s not a particular problem
to build a newer version yourself or if you require one that
comes directly from us just let us know so we can help your
specific use case.  Last but not least, here are the full
patch notes:

o ports: phalcon 2.8.0 [1], php 5.6.14 [3]
o unbound: improved DNS rebind protection
o traffic shaper: improved description field validation
o wizard: bring back missing files
o captive portal: redirect after successful RADIUS login
o health: fix reading of ntpd RRD data
o config manager: fix revert and delete in translations
o config daemon: don’t pass stderr on script output call
o languages: German now 64% complete

Stay safe,
Your OPNsense team
--